Wednesday 5 July 2017

First Impressions: Netsuzou Trap -NTR-

As a really big yuri and shoujo ai fan, I must sadly say that anime has never really had a good track record with adapting yuri and shoujo ai manga. Most of the adaptations and original series we do get end up leading up to the kiss or the big confession between the girls and never explore a homosexual relationship between two girls, until now. This year we are getting adaptations of two of the biggest yuri series, Citrus and Netsuzou Trap, the later of which released on Crunchyroll just a few hours ago.

I have not read all of Netsuzou Trap, mostly because I find it kind of uncomfortable, yet very intriguing to read. Why? Because while the series does explore an actual romantic relationship between two girls and the questions about ones sexuality that comes with that. But the problem is that these two girls are already in relationships with their respective boyfriends. One of them, Mizushina Hotaru is knowingly cheating on her boyfriend by kind of forcefully engaging with Kamuka Ai, making her question her feelings for her boyfriend. While the idea of cheating on your significant other does not appeal to me in any way, I am still very intrigued by how far this series was willing to go in comparison to most of the other yuri and shoujo ai anime that I have watched over the years.

The art style and animation of the show is not really anything to write home about. It has these typical soft pastel colors and there is not much impressive movement, not that I expected that from a show like this. One thing that I will mention though, is that the lighting looks amazing in some scenes.

The only thing that did actually annoy me while watching this is how short the episodes are. They are only ten minutes long and with both an opening and ending that only gives us around seven minutes of actual show to watch, which is kind of disapointing since I think that the show would only gain from having the usual twenty minute episodes, giving them a lot more time for character development.

But I will definitely keep watching this show since it is one of the few and far between yuri shows that actually explores a homosexual relationship between two girls, even if the context makes me really uncomfortable. Netsuzou Trap - NTR is available to watch on Crunchyroll!

No comments:

Post a Comment