Tuesday 4 July 2017

Review: Anonymous Noise

So a few days ago I was bored and sat down bored in front of Crunchyroll looking for something to watch and I saw this picture to the left. I've seen K-ON, Sound Euphonium, I really like anime about music and this girl is holding a guitar, so why not give this a shot. Anonymous Noise follows Arisugawa Nino, also known as Alice, a weird girl who always wears a mask and headphones, who sings a nostalgic melody by the beach every morning.

Why is she doing this? Because six years ago she experienced two heart-wrenching partings and has been singing towards the sea ever since, bound by the promise made with her two childhood friends, her first love Momo Sasaki and Kanade "Yuzu" Yuzuriha who used to compose music for her back then, that they would be able to use her voice as a beacon if they were ever to be separated.

I really liked Anonymous Noise, since I have a fondness for anime following bands and people playing music, because it is not often you get to hear actual songs in anime that are good and are not only background and ambient tracks. That being said, the series is not without it's problems. My main issue is that the dramatic turns never let up, every episode has some kind of major dramatic turn and sure, I understand that the reason their doing that is because the show is meant to be watched on a weekly basis and I binge-watched it over three days, which made these issues more apparent to me.

But another thing that I really do like is the very evocative character design with it's large expressive eyes and mostly tall, lanky and not very moe character designs, which is a really nice change of pace. The only thing that bothers me here is Nino's mask that she always wears. It looks silly and I can't help but to think that it was a choice made to save money on animation rather than good design, but that might just be me.

But the best part of this show was definitely the music. Every scene that had the characters playing music had me hooked. The animation when playing instruments is not on the level of K-ON, but the musical scenes and the music is just so full of passion and the songs are actually really so good that I would really like to buy the songs from the show and have them on my iPhone.

At the end of the day, I really enjoyed Anonymous Noise, even if it might be a little flawed and I really tend to enjoy the shoujo genre. Anonymous Noise is available to watch on Crunchyroll!

No comments:

Post a Comment